Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Whats "goot" about today?

Man-cub is sick.  Sore throat, cough, congestion, tired watery eyes, feverish, not sleeping well, and general crankiness.  No fun for any of us!

I'm a firm believer in letting the body fight its own way through most things, and give it the support it needs with good food, herbs, homeopathics, lots of liquids, and rest.  I try to avoid OTC "remedies" as much as possible, and doctors even more!

Yesterday I made GOOT.  "What is that?" you ask.  It's a blend of garlic, olive oil, and coconut oil, and it's a very effective way to get the garlic into little bodies without trying to make them eat it.  The original links where I found the recipe years ago seem to be gone now, except for this one at a health forum.  (It's a great forum, by the way, with a LOT of information!)

Here's the basic recipe:

  • 3 Tbs Virgin Coconut Oil
  • 3 Tbs Olive Oil
  • 3 Tbs fresh, minced garlic


(As you can see, it's equal parts of all three ingredients.  If you find that you don't need this much, then next time simply downsize the recipe.  Or, make more!)


You will need to warm the coconut oil until it is melted.  I put the jar into a pot of very hot water until I had enough.  Mix all three ingredients together in a blender (I used my Magic Bullet) until it's pretty well pureed.  You can strain it if you like (I did this time, and I'll tell you later what I did with the garlic stuff) which gives a nice smooth consistency for application, or leave it all in (which I have also done) in which case it will probably get more potent.  I put it in a glass jar and store in the fridge.  It will be like a paste that melts quickly when you put it on.

GOOT in a 1/2-pint jar
GOOT, easy to spread

What do you do with it?  The CO and OO are great carrier oils and will help the skin absorb the garlic without worrying about the garlic oil burning the skin.  It's really great for rubbing into the soles of your feet; you might want to designate a single pair of socks as GOOT socks for a while!  It is also good for rubbing into the chest.  Both are areas where the skin more readily absorbs stuff.

From this blog (and I'm pretty sure she copied this information from one of those broken links I was telling you about):

GOOT, rubbed into the skin, transfers raw garlic oil directly into the blood stream. Raw garlic is a natural antibiotic that does not carry the bad flora that a Rx antibiotic will put into your intestines.
Apply on the feet of children or infants to fight infections. Rub on chest for chest colds, pneumonia or rub into nostrils for sinus infections. Place on cotton swab for ear infections. Apply directly to sores inside the mouth. Rub on Athlete’s foot or genital area for jock itch. Insert GOOT into affected area for yeast or other related infections. Apply on rashes any place. GOOT kills Candida, parasites, bad bacteria and virus by direct application.
In addition, it treats systemic infections by absorption through the skin into the blood supply and travels throughout the body. After two weeks, make a new batch of GOOT.

One trick I have learned when dealing with small children is to have their sock partially on, over the toes, so it's ready to be pulled onto the foot as soon as you apply the GOOT.


So what did I do with  the garlic that I strained?  I added it to butter, melted it in a hot skillet, and put in some homemade bread to "toast", liberally sprinkling it with sea salt.  Now THAT is some "GOOT" garlic bread!

1 comment:

  1. Hope the goot did the trick for him, no fun being sick no matter what age.

    ReplyDelete